Collagen is a protein found throughout your entire body. It is found in the tough inner layer of skin, hair, nails intestinal tissue and joints. Besides it holding a lot of the body together, it is also the thing that maintains firm skin and keeps us looking young. Our bodies naturally produce collagen, but as we age the production starts slowing down and the appearance of aging begins.
There are many people who take collagen via pills and injections, but what we put in our body can also aid in collagen production and help keep us looking more youthful. Here are the top 7 foods that are high in collagen and also good for you:
- Bone Broth – contains bioavailable collagen that your body can absorb and use right away. All bone broths are great, beef aids skin health, while turkey and chicken support joint health.
- Salmon (Wild Caught) – contains omega 3 essential fatty acids reduces inflammation and promotes skin moisture from the inside out
- Greens – the chlorophyll in leafy greens increases procollagen, which is the precursor to collagen
- Berries – rich in Vitamin C and ellagic acid, berries protect the body against toxins and prevent collagen breakdown from UV damage
- Avocados – vitamin E and healthy fats help prevent collagen breakdown and improves the health of skin cells
- Garlic – contains sulfur, a trace mineral, that aids in collagen synthesis
- Citrus – vitamin C in citrus protects against toxins, which break down collagen